Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Acrylic Nails and Sex in the Workplace


What's a girl to do? Where does a retro chick work without giving up her modern right to be bored by spritzing perfume at zombie shoppers in a department store. Just this week I let my high gloss, extra long, designer acrylic nails be chopped down to a mere 1/4 inch above my finger tips. Only a week ago my guy was telling me how great I looked in our new leopard print sheets as he ran his fingers over the length of my digits. Sigh.

AND, no more designs on them, just plain jane white french tips. "Why did you let this happen?" you gasp in shock. Well, I was applying for a job as an office temp and I felt the push to conform, something I have been able to resist for more decades than I am willing to admit. At least my hair was still in a teased semi-big style.

Does keeping the creditors from filling up my answering machine mean giving up my creativity, my style, my sense of fun? Can being a dame that sits at a desk satisfy my need to express myself? Not likely. Maybe I can look at this as an opportunity to bring a little color and life to the stagnant beige of the office world. Why can't I be valued for my exotic fingernails instead of my w.p.m. without going into illegal trades? Is this a form of sex discrimination? That's it, from here on out my mission is to put sexuality back where it belongs, in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment